Email Marketing isn’t dead, despite what some hyperbolic blog posts you may have seen online say. In fact, you are six times more likely to convert an email subscriber than you are a twitter follower. It is one of the most powerful tools available to a business when it comes to engaging with current and potential customers, yet so many businesses handle it wrong.
Many businesses have a negative perception of email marketing due to a contempt for their own inbox, but the truth is email services are a great way to capture new leads and increase engagement with your customers.
Email marketing should revolve around a strategy and a set of goals. Businesses should think about what their target audience would be interested in hearing about, or what kinds of sales and promotions would move them to engage.
Personalise, Personalise, Personalise
This is the one thing we see every new client failing to do in their own marketing efforts – personalising email content. As mentioned earlier 26% more emails are opened if the email subject line is personalised, but goes beyond that. Personalised emails also statistically increase conversion rates by 10% – and that is the goal. To convert email subscribers into leads or customers, or if they are already customers, repeat customers. If you pay attention to just one of these golden rules, let it be this one.
Don’t put your products or service in the spotlight
Only 39% of online retail businesses try to sell products to their customers via email. The other 61% are likely to have more success from an email campaign. Emails should provide value to their readers – try to simply advertise your product or service to your audience, and they will switch off. Instead, provide valuable information. If you are an IT company, guide your audience on how they can protect their data better. If you are a fashion retailer, provide an editorial on the latest trends. Give your customer what they want before trying to sell what you want them to buy. 90% informative, 10% promotional is the accepted ratio.